April 10, 2005

cal路cu路la路tive -
The act, process, or result of calculating.
An estimate based on probabilities.
Careful, often cunning estimation and planning of likely outcomes, especially to advance one's own interests.


When I used that, what I meant was I cherish my blessings and count them carefully. And I try to always advance them for my own interest, specifically, to know that I'm a lucky girl.

I'm more self-invested than I look.

xxx

Family picnic at Choa Chu Kang

Every year, around this time of the year, we set off at 6.30am, in 4 cars, 3 from Ang Mo Kio and 1 from Choa Chu Kang. The trip felt longer when I was younger than now. 4 cars, 4 boots of joss-sticks, joss papers, fruits, snacks (like Chinese pastry, buns, bao), fried bee hoon and fried noodles, finger food (like gyoza, fried wanton, vegetarian mock chicken, Ngoh hiang) and coffee, tea, herbal drink. Oh, you name it!

One car boot for all the food that's been 'ritualised' and ready for human consumption. Paper plates and disposable chopsticks being passed around. My mum even brought the condiments for the gyoza, the vinegar, the ginger shreds, red cut chilli, sambal belacan for the noodle. Mrs. thought-of-it-all-have-it-all 2005 Award is hers, with the first runner-up being my Big Aunt (free flow of chilled herbal drinks, coffee, and Lipton tea to go around).

Hanging out with my cousins, in recent years, only serves to remind me of my age(ing). Why do I keep having the impression that they are much younger when in fact, they will be celebrating their 21st birthdays consecutively in the coming few years? An event that feels too long ago for me.

The weather is always (too) sunny, but with food like that, standing around with aunts and uncles and many, many cousins, eating, chatting, there is something quite heart-warming about Qing Ming Festival.

And we found the perfect retirement job for my 4th Uncle - a sai1 gong1.

xxx

A love affair with passion

Wenn and I sat there, looking at the menu of Bakerzin, thinking whether it would be better to shift to Coffee Club. In the end, the deciding factors were that the cakes at Bakerzin, though pretty, didn't scream out to me and I wouldn't pay $11 for a waffle with strawberry ice-cream, no matter how loudly it screamed out to me. And the drinks menu was quite boring.

Hence, I rekindled my love affair with my Ice passion.

xxx

Look left, look right

Our paths could so easily not meet. I like to gaze into quietness from the bustling city; you prefer gazing at the bustle a distance from the quieter village.

I said before you can be quite perceptive when you want to be. Yes, I'm fascinated by the dangerous and my fear but only if I know I'm within the protective arms of my comfort ground. I love ironies (which kinda explains my love affair with Iced Passion).

I'm an irony myself. My memory tells me that you said that is the reason why you thought I'm alluring.

= p

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 19:52